ISO 45001 Management Systems of Occupational Health and Safety (OH&S)
ISO 45001 is an ISO standard for management systems of occupational health and safety (OH&S), published in March 2018. The goal of ISO 45001 is the reduction of occupational injuries and diseases. ISO 45001, Occupational health and safety management systems - Requirements with guidance for use, provides a robust and effective set of process for improving work safety in the company's supply chains with the aim to reduce workplace injuries and illnesses.
ISO 45001 helps an organization to achieve the intended outcomes of its OH&S management system. Consistent with the organization's OH&S policy, the intended outcomes of an OH&S management system for fulfilment of legal requirements and at the same time to achieve company's OH&S objectives.
ISO 45001 has replaced OHSAS 18001, the world's former reference for workplace health and safety. Organizations already certified to OHSAS 18001 will have three years to comply with the new ISO 45001 standard, although certification of conformity to ISO 45001 is not a requirement of the standard.
What are the major differences between OHSAS 18001 and ISO 45001? There are many differences, but the main change is that ISO 45001 concentrates on the interaction between an organization and its business environment while OHSAS 18001 was focused on managing OH&S hazards and other internal issues.
But both standards also diverge in many other ways:
- ISO 45001 is process-based – OHSAS 18001 is procedure-based
- ISO 45001 is dynamic in all clauses – OHSAS 18001 is not
- ISO 45001 considers both risk and opportunities – OHSAS 18001 deals exclusively with risk
- ISO 45001 includes the views of interested parties – OHSAS 18001 does not
ISO 45001 also follows the High-Level Structure of other ISO standards like ISO 9001:2015 and ISO 14001:2015 which makes integration of these standards much easier.
Prinsip Mahir can help your organization:
- To provide guidance to establish a safe and healthy workplaces system for the objective of preventing work-related injury and ill health, as well as by proactively improving its OH&S performance to fulfill compliance to ISO 45001.
- To identify elements of your business that impact on health and safety and gain access to the relevant legislation.
- To monitor implementation and maintain your company's OH&S management system to improve current occupational health and safety system, eliminate hazards and minimize OH&S risks (including system deficiencies), take advantage of OH&S opportunities, and address OH&S management system nonconformities associated with its activities.
- As a resource person to provide technical assistance and training to your business as you work towards correcting identified hazards. The employer's obligation is to correct all serious hazards identified by the consultant within a reasonable period. This commitment is made in advance.